20 May, 2008

Now that it's been a while since my last post you should be about on the edge of your seat waiting for me to feed you again with my vacuous insight. I'm sorry to have kept you. Since I've made you wait so long, I'll give you something extra good today.
In my last blog I mentioned a couple things that you may find on my mind, one of which being "music is good for your soal and memory". In my recent past as well as my ancient past I have been very fond and connected to music. Not only because I was a musician (wannabe), but because many things I experienced as a child and in my adult life have been connected with music. Now, this is not just because whenever I hear music the autidory cortex in my brain is activated, nor is it because the dorsolateral frontal cortex works with the auditory cortex to remember the song while the music is held in working status in the brain by the inferior frontal gyrus. No, that is just nonsense! The reason my (and maybe your) memories are so connected with music is because you associate things in your life with what is around you. You remember where that McDonalds is at that truck stop because you remember being at a truck stop and seeing a McDonalds, not because your memory tells you where every McDonalds you have ever been to is located (Remember my last blog I said JUNK FOOD is BAD, McDonalds is JUNK FOOD, how is it not?). Music is the same way, when you hear that Nirvana song on the radio and think of the time you payed that song in a concert and smashed your guitars against a cinder blcok on stage, that's music memory connectivity (not an actual scientific event), and it happens whenever you connect music to a memory.
"So why is it good for your soul and memory?" (don't you love it when I ask questions for you?) Well, it's good for your memory because when you hear that song, you struggle to recall that moment in your life. Sometimes it takes you several minutes to think of it, but you eventually get it because of the strong bond between music and memory. Bringing up those old memories excercises your brain and helps keep it in tip-top shape (this is why my wife would claim I never listen to music!). And it's good for your soul, too, because I say so; don't argue with me, you know I'm right. That little part of you that agreed with me when you read "it's good for your soul, too" is how you know I'm right (it's ok to admit).
Through all this, if you enjoy music even a little, you are a good candidate for music memory connectivity. So go listen to your music and make memories.

(notes on this post: everything in this particular blog about music is based on nothing. No studies were done and no studies were even studied to give you the information within this post. Although I have never heard of "music memory connectivity", you may use the phrase as though you heard it in a college lecture, just remember where you got it...)

*here's a fact for you - I once wrote a song and recorded it but don't remember any of it*


While I'm writing, I'd like to add a few comments on my last post. One of my (first and last time) readers made a comment to me about how I was so wrong about my theories on working and family. This person wrote something to the effect of: "You're wrong". This person claimed to have a completely opposing ideology, being that the only thing you should do is work work work, fish, eat, and work some more. Although this is in opposition to my comments I have to claim that this persons is 100% right in that I am not wrong at all (I love to fish!!!). I believe you should put family first, if putting family first requires you to put family last (ie. you are broke and need more money to support your family). In my example this person is broke, so putting his family time last so he/she can work, is putting his/her family first by making sure he/she can support the family. And to give you an updat, I DID go out and find that second job, and now I'm looking for a third to fill in the other times I can work... TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY!


Here is a little picture for those of you who like pictures to make memories. This picture is of a black hole emmitting a plasma gas... It's pretty cool. If I knew when I was going to die, I would plan a trip to a black hole in outer space (as opposed to "inner" space) so that I can get sucked in and experience a death no one else on earth has ever experienced! That's how I would make history books, first human to be sucked into a black hole (never mind the 1,073,972 years it would take to get there travelling at 1,000 MPH).

11 comments:

Chelsea said...

How is there even a picture of that if no one has ever been there or experience that?? I don't understand space stuff one bit.. I cant even remember what all Alex "taught" me about light years, distance, and everything else.. Guess maybe i should listen to music while he talks to me??

Phil Doak said...

Well, Chelsea, back in the early days of technology someone invented a thing called a camera. Since this invention there have been many advances in technology that allows us to take picture of outer space via telescopes. It is either that or the russians traveled thousands of light years into space using a spacecraft powered by Chuck Norris (this is the only other probable answer).
I'll recap on what Alex probably taught you: a light year is the distance that light can travel in one year (at the speed of light, obviously, which is 670,616,629.4 miles per hour). A light year happens to be 5.88 trillion miles.
To remember things better, when Alex is talking, try doing what I do when my wife talks; when she talks to me, I just picture her singing the words of her sentence to the song "Brick in the Wall". This is how I remember everything she says, try it... I didn't, and you can't too!

Chelsea said...

it still doesnt make sense... but i'll just nod my head and smile... oh by the way, i think you mean a SATELLITE took the picture?? How come that thing can go so far outer space but ppl cant?? Better have a good answer as I plan to home school my kids, we cant make me look like a moron, or at least lets not let my kids see that! Umm... are you really listening to your wife when you do that??? I wouldnt be able to focus if i did that, so maybe a different technique would work??

heathermum said...

phil you sound right brained! :)
just make a MOVIE of your wife telling you what she telling you and you'll remember everything cause you can play the movie over and over! ;)

Daddy Doak said...

Fact: I studied some of the studies and during my studies I found the one single answer worth all the studies in all the whole world combined.....
Nothing... It was awesome...
Second fact: if you were only traveling 1,000 miles per hour, then traveling at that speed for the amount of time that allotted would mean that you only traveled a distance of 9,382,219,392,000 miles, which is almost 1.5 light years. Which in fact if it were that close, we would be sucked in.
Third Fact: I spent way too much time on that math.....

Phil Doak said...

First, Chelsea, maybe a satellite did take the pictures but it still would have had to use a camera and telescope. And people can travel a long distance into space, but unfortunately in order to facilitate a person living, the craft would have to be much larger, as it would have to house years worth of food supply. It would also have to have a way to heat the cabin and be able to maintain a certain temperature for a long time, and they (NASA) don't want to take that kind of a chance, being that the craft is very, very, far from the nearest repair shop... and for not making you sound dumb, if all else fails just start combining big words, here are some good ones that I've always found useful: The cataclysmic seismic pressure might potentially compramise the structural integrity of the foundation. Good luck.

Heathermum, I agree, I am right-brained. For all those reading this, right-brained means that everything about my brain is right / correct. Thanks for the clarification Heathermum:) And making a movie sounds like a great idea, but since I have a very limited budget (0$) maybe I'll write a story instead. I'll post it on one of my upcoming blogs:)

Next up, Daddy (not my daddy) Doak... I have to appologize first off, I dind't realize people were expecting precise answers, I guess I thought a very fast speed and over a million years time would pretty much cover it, but since you're checking my work i'll go ahead and give you a closer answer (and my last "answer" is closer to 1.6 light years, but you're right, we would get sucked in...that would be cool though!). So, let's recap: we're traveling 1,000 MPH towards the (thought to be) nearest known black hole, which is "approximately" 1,600 light years away. Traveling 1,000 MPH for 24 hours a day, it would take "approximately" 1,073,698,595.434 years (1,073,698,595.434 years * 8,760,000 miles per year = 9,405,599,696,001,840 miles. Take that divided by one light year (5,878,499,810,000 miles) and you get 1600 light years. I'm sorry for the mistake, and I hope this clears up any confusion I may have caused by giveing you bad information. Thanks for keeping me in check Daddy(not my daddy)Doak.

Daddy Doak said...

Fourth fact: Most space travel is traveled at speeds of excess of 30,000 miles per hour. This can be achieved because after the thrusters kick in and boost, and then shut off, since there is no gravity pulling on it, it can continue at that speed with no use of thrusters.mohkzah

Phil Doak said...

You're absolutely right, DaddyDoak, depending on the space craft and it's altitude (or if it's leaving orbit); much faster than my 1,000 MPH. And the boosters are quite interesting, the fuel is made up of liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen burned together. Mr. Newton would agree with you based on the first law of motion, without gravity there is no force to combat the speed of the mass.

Anonymous said...

Phil-
Put down the encyclopedia and come back to earth where you belong.
Why did your blogs end? Did the microscopic print in those aforementioned encyclopedias begin to strain everyone's eyes, or maybe the stress caused by having to read and process so many large and fantastic words(of the day?), was just to much for little Phil. Any hoo, I'll be checking on your little blogspot periodically to see what other weird and useless banter you are engaged in; mostly so I can poke more fun at you for it.
Love Your Good Friend,
Justin

Unknown said...

Chelsea, I don't think you will look like a moron. Those that spend millions and billions of dollars searching for and naming stars are morons.Also, that being said those who waste their time(& family time) to post a blog about it are well....morons too. Note to the blogger...you are never right.Remember that.

Phil Doak said...

Justin,
I'm sorry about neglecting your "me"time for so long, I will try to do better. As for my encyclopedia, it is exactly where it belongs, not in my hands but inside my head; I am a walking encyclopedia, never faltering nor wavering, I am a fact... that being said, I'm never wrong, remember that, Traci!
The great beyond can never be deprived of our attention. We should always look towards the stars (be them named or not) in search for aliens, cool new rocks, and shock waves left over from the big bang (or something like that...thank you Hubble?). Actually, I think some of the things in space are not so much a waste of time, but a gift from it's creator. It's amazing to think how small we are in comparison to what can only be seen with advanced (expensive) technology (my favorite, the sombrero galaxy- http://terpsichore.stsci.edu/~summers/viz/hgast/hgast_imax_sombrero_galaxy_0510_1404x1024.jpg
).
But I will say, such as it should be for all of us, the blessings of extraordinary things should come as exactly that; a blessing, for doing well what we are responsible for doing. I should not spend $5,000 on a telescope to observe such amenities when I have a $10,000 car loan to pay off... (or a 6 trillion dollar deficit). Take that as you wish...